Saturday 26 April 2014

Your eyes can deceive you

I know that certain styles don't flatter me, especially now that I'm a woman of a certain age and not as slim as I was. Being only 5 feet and a bit, I have learnt over the years how to dress to make myself look slimmer and taller, however sometimes you just want to wear an outfit even if it's not necessarily a good look on you. I've spoken before about loving stripes, so it wasn't surprising that I was tempted into buying a striped top on our recent visit to Murcia. I am of course talking about horizontal stripes, that don't draw the eyes down like vertical stripes do. Fashion rules, of course, are meant to be broken aren't they?


I was very happy wearing this outfit, but I'm sure you will agree that it makes my top half look bigger than my bottom half and I don't look tall and slim in it.  Not that I really care!  However when I went out to lunch I added a cascade cardigan, which totally changed my look and made me appear a bit slimmer. Of course if I had worn a darker cardigan or jacket, it would have had a greater slimming effect.


Another option would have been to wear a long, brightly coloured pendant or scarf to break the vast expanse of horizontal stripes and draw the eyes downward.  I could also have worn lighter coloured trousers so that the break wasn't as obvious.  Do you know of any similar tricks to deceive the eyes and create a more flattering outfit?

2 comments:

  1. You look so good in those stripes - and yes, rules are meant to be broken. At 5'4" I should be able to wear stripes, but for some reason they make me look terrible. The rule that I break is "dark jeans make you look thinner.". I think that I look thinner in lighter jeans! Love your blog. Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Molly. Good to meet a fellow rule breaker! Interesting to hear that you look thinner in lighter jeans - I have been tempted to buy a white pair, even though they wouldn't be very practical. The good thing would be that our dog Lisa's white hairs wouldn't show up the way they do on my black pair!

      Delete