Sunday 21 January 2018

Capsule Wardrobe - choosing my colours


My basic capsule wardrobe this year contains four neutrals: camel, brown, olive and navy. My accent colours for Spring will be coral, teal, red, blue and green. Obviously I will only wear one accent colour at a time with my neutral outfits!

I recently discovered an excellent Pinterest board for choosing colour palettes: Sarah Renae Clark. Click on the link above to find colour combinations that appeal to you and reflect your style. The two shown below were ones that immediately appealed to me, as they include some of my favourite colours.




Looking at the two palettes above, I can see that each one would work for a travel capsule. Based on the first picture, I would select neutrals of camel and navy, with accents of teal, green and blue. If I used the second colour palette, my neutrals would be brown and olive, with accents of coral and red.

Having followed Imogen's 7 Steps to Style system, I know that my best colours are warm, smoky and deep. I also know that my value contrast is high, however my colour contrast is low. This means that neutrals suit me if I ensure that my outfit contains both dark and light shades or monochromatic outfits with a mix of dark and light shades. However I also need to take my personal style into account, which is why I love to add a pop of colour to my outfits.

I have decided to try a personal challenge by wearing only colours from one of the above palettes for a week. This will give me the opportunity to "road test" my travel capsule prior to my next holiday. You might like to try this idea yourself. Select a colour palette that you love and that you think would work for your capsule wardrobe, then try doing the same as me: only wearing items from your colour palette for the following week. Please leave a comment telling me how you got on!













  

No comments:

Post a Comment