Wednesday 28 December 2016

Winter capsule wardrobe

It's time to start thinking about my winter capsule wardrobe as part of Project 333. For those who don't know, the idea behind Project 333 is to limit yourself to 33 items of clothing each season to cover the 3 months. I've already packed away many of the short-sleeved tops from my Autumn 33 and I've added some long-sleeved tops, including a few new purchases. New additions to my wardrobe are shown in the first picture below. Yes I know that this includes a short-sleeved top, however it's a lace top for winter events when I want to look a bit more dressed up
and when I think that it's going to be warm enough to wear it.



The following tops featured in my autumn 33 and will mix and match well with my bottoms. Living in Spain, we do have some sunny days during the winter months where we don't need to layer up, however they will also go well with my cardigans and jackets on colder days where I need an extra layer.















I've included my new red ruched skirt - although I probably won't wear it very often over the next few months - as I think it's going to prove a versatile purchase. I wore it with the beige sparkly jumper when we received our Hypnos award in the theatre before Christmas. I will be wearing it with the new red top shown in the first photo when we go to a dinner dance on 6th January. It will be packed in my case when we go on holiday at the beginning of March, with a selection of tops, for going out in the evening. I'm sure it will score well on the cost per wear ratio!


As well as the three pairs of trousers shown above, I have a grey wool pair as seen in the following photo. These four pairs and the skirt will be rotated throughout the next three months and, with nineteen different tops, plus three cardigans and two jackets, I can create dozens of outfits. Obviously outer layers are very important during the winter months and my capsule includes the burgundy coat, copper trench-coat and beige puffer jacket shown above and the burgundy puffer jacket shown below.



I've mentioned before how it is sensible to build your capsule wardrobe around neutrals, in either warm or cool tones depending on your individual colouring. My neutrals here are mainly brown, camel and beige as well as dark navy jeans and grey trousers. The tops are mostly warm colours, including gold, orange, red and lime green. Accessories have a very important role to play in capsule wardrobes. They can provide contrast if your outfit is too dark and they can provide colour if your outfit is a bit dull. Above all, they will add personality to your outfits. 

The January sales can be very tempting, especially if your capsule consists mainly of neutrals and you love colour as much as I do. Did I mention that red is a neutral in my wardrobe? Just saying! If you're finding it hard to resist the sales, why not look for a colourful scarf, a statement necklace or sparkly earrings instead of yet another "bargain" dress or top that hardly gets worn? Something that will give both you and your wardrobe a lift. As for me, I'm going to try and resist temptation until it's time to start thinking about my Spring wardrobe. After all, with the above 33 items of clothing, I've got more than enough clothes to see me through the winter months.


7 comments:

  1. Great tips, Sue! It must feel wonderful opening your closet doors in the morning to see such a well co-ordinated, organized wardrobe....especially in your beautiful colors!! You are such a great inspiration for me to get organized and create a plan, then work the plan. Thank you for sharing your journey so generously.

    I made note of your email address and plan to contact you after the holidays. I so appreciate your input with Kettlewell. If I am going to pay a very exorbitant postal fee I want to be sure I understand their many issues with fit.

    Happy New Year to you both.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. If you do decide to buy from Kettlewell, I hope that you enjoy your purchases.

      Delete
  2. Sue, Thanks for a great year of posts. Looking forward to next year. Best Wishes Carol S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I always appreciate your comments. Best wishes. Sue

      Delete
  3. Wonderful tips for maintaining a good and impressive wardrobe. I try to buy designer clothes as love staying stylish. These days, looking for discounted deals on workout clothing and gears as have to buy for my gym.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great very nice blog post, Thanks for sharing this interesting and very informative content. Always keep sharing. beauty blogger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great very nice blog post, Thanks for sharing this interesting and very informative content. Always keep sharing. beauty blogger

    ReplyDelete