Wednesday 6 April 2016

I will wear what I like!

Catherine of Not Dressed As Lamb fame (see under Recommended Blogs on the right) started an Instagram campaign in August last year, after a journalist published a list of 24 things 30+ women shouldn't wear. I have to wonder what that journalist would make of certain things this 60+ woman has worn! Catherine has continued her popular campaign with a weekly link up where women of all ages wear what they like. I thought it might be fun to join in, as the only criteria is to wear whatever you damn well like!

This week's #iwillwearwhatilike theme is yellow, and I have to say that Catherine looks amazing in her yellow outfit. My own outfit of the day is shown below, but do take a look at Catherine's blog and see what some of the other contributors are wearing.


Yellow isn't a colour that I've worn much in recent years. Having done several different colour consultations and been told that I was a winter, yellow wasn't included in my colour swatches. Then I decided to do the 7 Steps to Style course and to my surprise I was told that I was an Enigmatic: deep, smoky and warm. More recently I requested a colour dossier from Maria of Looking Stylish, who confirmed that my dominant colour characteristic was warm with a secondary of soft: so welcome back yellow - and other colours that I haven't worn for a long while!

I remember buying a lovely yellow knitted dress many years ago, though I don't have any photos of myself wearing it. I also bought the trouser suit shown below. This photo was taken in Northern Ireland so I reckon it must have been forty eight years ago. In those days I'd never heard of colour analysis, so I definitely wore what I liked.


What about you? Do you sometimes wear outfits that some people may say are "inappropriate" for your age? If so, don't worry about it. In the link that Catherine gave on her blog, the journalist said that leopard print wasn't appropriate for over 30s - so that includes quite a few of us. Trust me, I'm not going to throw away my favourite leopard print top. So long as you are happy, you should wear what you like, just as I do.

11 comments:

  1. This is a post after my own heart! Heck yeah, I wear what I want, even though I'm 60 years old. My style is "urban biker street style", and my "uniform" a pair of black skinny jeans, black ankle boots with metal details, and a thin long-sleeve v-neck tee, with a coordinating graphic tee. I might wear a fitted utility jacket or army vest with the sleeves cut off if the weather requires it. I'm not a "typical grandma". I think it works for me because I have a petite, youthful figure, and my face is still unlined. My hair is very dark and my skin is light-medium, so I'm high contrast. The bold, metallic look just works for me and my personality. I've never been traditional, so edgy and bold works for me. I think when we reach our majority, by age 60, we are entitled to dress however we like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Lovely to know that I'm not the only rebellious 60+ woman out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to buy clothes from Kettlewell Clothes I am just scared because I am the size as you in height what size do you order ?do you have to get the tops altered? are the jackets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you live in the UK? If so, you could order the size you think is right and return it for free if it doesn't fit. Their website is pretty good too as if you look at a particular top it will tell you how long it is. Some of their tops have ruching, so it it's a fraction long I just push it up to the right spot! I usually order medium, as I'm not as slim as I used to be! I'm a UK size 10-12.

      Delete
    2. no I do live in the UK I live in the USA but I love the web site I AM SP IN THE USA SIZE AND 4 IN TOPS

      Delete
  4. sorry I meant to say I do not live in the UK . I was looking at the USA size VS the UK SIZE I was confused because I am petite
    I praying the small size will fit me. sense I am SMALL petite in the USA which is a size 4 thank you so much for your help love your blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you'll be a small. Do let me know if you order something - I hope you'll love their clothes as much as I do! I love the great selection of colours they do.

      Delete
  5. I don't listen to "fashun" experts any more. I'm 61 and have earned the right to dress as I please. In fact, I wrote about a certain item of clothing today! https://atypical60.com/2016/05/03/how-to-wear-shorts-when-you-are-over-50-or-60/

    ReplyDelete