Monday 9 September 2013

Contrasting views

In my previous post I talked about patterns and in particular whether medium-scale and large-scale patterns look good on petites or overpower us. In my case, large-scale patterns are definitely too much and I also have to be careful with medium-scale patterns, which have a tendency to wear me rather than the other way round.

My ever-helpful readers commented on the contrast within the patterns and kindly pointed out that the bright turquoise and white checked shirt that I was wearing in one photo wasn't very flattering, partly because it was a medium-scale pattern but also because of the high contrast.

Sharon made an interesting point when she said that she felt that the shapes weren't right for me either. She mentioned that the polka dots in another photo looked better than the checks, even though the amount of contrast was similar, which she thought could be because I have round features. Next time that I go shopping, I think I'll test her theory out. I don't have many patterned clothes, but I tend to be drawn to polka dots and stripes rather than checks anyway.

What I found interesting was the fact that many of my readers favoured one particular outfit that I felt didn't flatter me. Robin suggested that I contrast that with an outfit she had liked on me from an earlier post, so here we go (just for Robin!) The first photo is the one in my last post that people seemed to prefer.
Reader's choice!
My opinion is that there is too much black in this outfit, which makes me look a bit tired, though my readers liked the swirly pattern and the chunky necklace. I think that I got away with wearing this because my hair is dark, but generally black is too harsh for most of us women of a certain age. I am gradually replacing the black items in my wardrobe, mainly with dark brown or navy.

60th birthday outfit
The outfit that Robin prefers is the one above and I agree with her that the dark brown is more flattering than the black. I wore it the other evening and I still like myself in it even though I've had it for over five years! I was advised to buy this dress by a personal shopper and she was right in saying that it would be a good addition to my wardrobe and wouldn't date.

Like Robin, I think I look better in the brown dress - though it may just be the fact that I am five years' younger in this photo! - however I would be interested in knowing what you think. The black dress or the brown dress: which one gets your vote?





8 comments:

  1. Well, you know I had to post, right!

    I liked the top outfit better than most others in the last match-up, but side-by-side comparison of the black vs the brown is striking. The black is too harsh on you but the patterns are good. The chunky black necklace is good for scale but not for pattern. So I agree with everyone who said swirls and more circular (but not circles) patterns.

    That brown outfit, with its little touches of orange, really make your skin look better. (and as I dislike orange, you know I'm not saying that because I like the color for itself!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I knew that I could rely on you! I definitely agree that the brown dress wouldn't have looked so good on me without the orange camisole (which I needed because the neckline was too low for me!)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, personally I prefer the picture with the brown dress. You are the dominate feature, whereas the necklace is the dominate feature in the picture with the dress with black. It is hard to tell from my monitor what the other colours are in the dress, but on it's own I don't think it would look bad.

    Sharon/Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, the main colours are black, grey and brown - however I also had a black wrap round me as we were in a bodega for a concert, and bodegas tend to be chilly because they are temperature controlled for the wines! I think I need to look for another necklace to wear with that dress - any excuse!

      Delete
  3. I think Sharon is on to something. That black dress has some brown in it, so with a different necklace/scarf it would look better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - if I can't find a different necklace, maybe a scarf would do the trick.

      Delete
  4. I like your blog and plan to add it to mine. I comment on fashion as well. If you are interested in checking me out I am at
    rosythereviewer.blogspot.com

    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosy. I'll take a look at your blog right now! I don't know about you, but I enjoy reading other fashion blogs and find a lot of inspiration that way.

      Delete