Wednesday 15 August 2012

In search of the perfect jacket

I need a new jacket, specifically a black or navy jacket for the cooler months.  I have one hanging up in my wardrobe, but sadly it has seen better days (you could say the same about me!) and needs to be replaced.  I have trawled the local shops, but so far to no avail.  I don't think I am particularly difficult, but I want a jacket that will last and that won't date, which rules out many shops that are aimed at younger women.  To be completely honest, many of the jackets in the shops aimed at younger women were also too small for me!

Take this jacket from Zara for example:



I like it: it's fun and people would notice me, but maybe for the wrong reason.  We are talking fashion for over 60s here and I have to admit that this is aimed at a slightly younger market.  Zara is trendy and, though I would look fine wearing it now, by next year fashions will have changed and there's nothing worse than wearing something that is obviously last year's fashion trend.  If I had a huge budget I might succumb and buy it however, even with a recent tax refund, it would be inadvisable to buy something that will start looking dated. I am trying to streamline my wardrobe and build up a capsule collection that will all work together, so it's a definite no-no.

I have tried shops that cater for the more mature woman, but many of their jackets are, frankly, boring.  I don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb, however mutton dressed as mutton can be dull.  My other problem is that many of them are too large for me.  I don't want huge shoulder pads and a jacket that drowns me.  Yes I know that shoulder pads can be removed and sleeves shortened, but if the jacket is too long as well, it's not a good buy.

I may be over 60 but I'm a UK size 12, which I believe is US size 10.  I don't think that qualifies me as a Plus size does it?  I even have over 60 friends who are slimmer than me! I have actually seen Over 50 fashion collections that start at UK size 14.  Why?  Some of the designs are good, but they don't have them in my size.

What I am looking for is a stylish black or navy jacket, slim-fitting (as I like to look slimmer and taller than I am in reality!), well-designed and made from a decent material so that it will last me as long as my previous black jacket.  Is that too much to ask for?





No comments:

Post a Comment