Wednesday 11 January 2023

My word of the year: NOW

Did I ever mention my habit of procrastination? My ability to decide something doesn't have to be done today when I can easily do it tomorrow. I'm guessing that you can see which way I'm heading in my search for a suitable Word of the Year? Yes, that's why I've decided on NOW for my word of the year 2023.

 If you appreciate irony, you might smile at the fact that I started this post several days ago! However I am working on it NOW and intend to finish it today.

I think the COVID years have made us all appreciate that it's more difficult to plan for the future, and we don't want to get stuck in the past - talking about the way things used to be - so living in the present is the way to go.

If I made New Year's resolutions, I think it would have to be to "live in the present". Memories are wonderful (and I'm slightly addicted to Facebook's Memories) but we all need to move forward. Planning for the future is also positive, though nothing can be certain nowadays. The answer to true happiness is to enjoy each day as it happens.

Make the most of each moment. If you're meeting friends for coffee, appreciate their friendship, listen to what they say and have a good time with them. If you're out for a walk with your dog, look around you and enjoy the trees, flowers and birds that you see, as well as the company of your pet. If you're at home having a meal, realise how lucky you are to be able to buy food and cook it, as well as savouring each mouthful. 

My overall theme for this year is to be healthy in mind. body and spirit. I am starting by eating more natural foods, which for January will be purely vegetarian and exclude fish, and to avoid processed food. I am also not drinking alcohol for the rest of the month, even though I live in a town that is renowned for its wine! I already take part in several online exercise classes, including Tai Chi and dancing, which I love doing so it's no hardship to continue with them. Finally I am starting to practise EFT/tapping and meditation. I believe that living in the present, concentrating on what is happening NOW, will add to my healthier lifestyle.

Do you have a word of the year? Have you made any New Year's resolutions? Please leave your comments below.

Finally, I'd like to wish you all a very happy and healthy 2023!


No comments:

Post a Comment