Saturday 1 April 2017

Style and Colour Event

Last week I attended a Style and Colour Event, organised by Maria of Looking Stylish. It was a fun-filled and very informative day, with lots of activities to help us become more stylish, great company and yummy food: what more could you want?

Maria covered so many topics that I'd need to write a book to tell you about them all! She identified six characteristics of colouring; light, deep, warm, cool, bright and soft. I'm warm with a secondary of soft. She showed us some universal colours that everyone can wear - taupe, navy (rather than black), pewter, camel and brown. Having said that, as a warm/soft, I need to look for warmer shades of taupe, navy, etc. When wearing neutrals, we should try adding two or three pieces in one of our accent colours  Maria also suggested adding three finishing touches to our outfits to make them more stylish, such as jewellery, scarves, handbags, shoes, sunglasses and make-up. Other topics covered included how to dress to suit our body shape, make-up and dressing to suit our personalities.

One session that I particularly enjoyed was when Maria showed us her travel capsule, which she had packed into the following carry-on bag.


Nearly everything came in threes or multiples of three: three pairs of trousers, three pairs of leggings, three dresses, six tops, three cover-ups, three scarves and three necklaces. The clothes were rolled up in sets of three, and didn't have any creases, as Maria demonstrated when she pulled them out of the bag and then hung them up.


I loved the two pairs of shoes plus one pair of sandals that she had packed. Perfect holiday footwear!



Finally Maria had tucked two smaller bags inside a stylish tote.


Maria has warm colouring so used neutrals of brown and cream, with salmon, teal and turquoise accents. She had included a few patterned pieces to add interest and also to pull different colours together. Her scarves and necklaces were also used to make the outfits look coordinated and stylish.

For many of us, the most revealing moment was when Maria selected a scarf for several participants in their most flattering colours. Our reaction was a collective "Wow!"


1 comment:

  1. Eloise at thisissixty.blog7 May 2017 at 12:19

    Sounds a really nice event. I had my 'colours' done by 'Colour me beautiful' a few years ago and it was really good. It made me start wearing taupe, which I had never bothered with before. Now I love it, especially with a colour-pop. Cerise or lime green are favourites. I even wore taupe to my son's wedding. Also, I now wear navy in place of black quite often.

    ReplyDelete