Saturday 8 August 2015

Do you have a uniform?

I'm not talking about work uniforms here. I'm asking whether you have a favourite go-to outfit such as jeans and a t-shirt, or a black cashmere sweater with a pencil skirt. An outfit that expresses who you are and that you always feel comfortable in when you're wearing it. Something that you throw on when you are in a hurry with the confidence that you know you'll look good.

In the days when I had to wear a school uniform, I always changed into jeans and a t-shirt as soon as I got home.  Yes, I've got a very good memory! In the workplace my style was smart casual, which meant that I wore trousers or trouser suits whenever possible. Now that I've retired, I wear jeans and long-sleeved tops during the winter months. Can you see a pattern emerging? Is this my "uniform"?

Of course it's different in summer, especially living here in Spain. My jeans and long-sleeved tops have been packed away and most days I wear sleeveless or short-sleeved tops with cropped trousers or long lightweight linen trousers.



When I posted the photo shown above on the 7 Steps to Style facebook group, Carole commented "It seems that you have settled on a "uniform" that suits you well." Thanks, Carole! The one thing I need to change in this outfit is the fact that I have a watch on one wrist and my fitbit on the other one. Next time I thrown on these clothes I'll wear the watch and fitbit on the same wrist. Regular readers won't be surprised to hear that, when I went out to meet friends for coffee, I added a red bag. I do love a pop of colour and my style recipe is "colourful casual chic with a little bit quirky and a Parisian influence", so the red Longchamp bag was an essential part of my outfit.

Although I have more or less settled on my uniform, sometimes I just fancy a change. With temperatures between 30 and 34 degrees Celsius at the moment (86 to 93 Fahrenheit) wearing a dress can be a tempting proposition. Dresses are slightly out of my comfort zone, but if we're meeting friends for a birthday lunch or an evening celebration I will pull one out of my wardrobe and I'm starting to enjoy wearing them, especially on a hot day. Maybe I can have a casual uniform and a slightly more dressed up uniform?

 .

Again this outfit won the approval of the other members of the group, with the only suggested change being a slightly longer necklace. I'm finding it quite enlightening taking photos of my outfits and getting feedback. When I assembled this outfit I was happy with my look, but I can see how it would be improved by changing the necklace.

What I'm finding is that, although I might be developing a couple of uniforms, I can express other sides of my personality and prevent boredom by using accessories to change the look.

Over to you: do you have a uniform or, like me, maybe a couple of uniforms to suit different occasions?




7 comments:

  1. Sue, you have really settled on a lovely style for you! I too prefer pants and a top over dresses or skirts but now that I have one dress and one skirt that I really like I realize it was that I was trying to wear the wrong styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I found helpful about the 7 Steps to Style facebook group, Juhli. Trying out different outfits - and not only getting feedback from other members, but also looking at the outfits myself from a different perspective.

      Delete
  2. You look so lovely, Sue - and beautiful uniform! Love you in a dress as well. I don't think I have a uniform, maybe we need someone else to point it out to us:-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments, Mette. You're absolutely right about other people pointing it out to us!

      Delete
  3. What wonderful changes you have made to your look since EYS and & Steps! Love it, and your "uniform", Sue.....I could jump right into it and be happy as a little clam. I continue to have trouble finding that perfect dress shape for me as I am an H who has moved into more than a bit of an O shape. But I take heart in your choices and will keep trying. Really get inspired when I see the changes you have made this past year. And love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, which I've just seen! The dress shown above is from Lands End, who have some in petite sizes, and it's an Empire line that flatters H shapess like me who are borderline Os!

      Delete
  4. Sue

    Easy-care top and shorts for summer around here, but capris when I have a doctor's appointment or something like that. As you know, I was taking my mom to a lot of appointments over the last year and struggling to find tops that were not a sharp contrast to the light capris. Not sure what my new uniform will be as we plan to move soon and everything has changed. I like the idea of a uniform in concept--maybe because I am at heart more classic than rebellious or fashion-forward? But knowing I can put together a couple of pieces and a few accessories and be out the door is helpful to me.

    I agree you have done a nice job of this concept!

    ReplyDelete