Wednesday 4 June 2014

Spots before my eyes

Today a parcel arrived from Wallis, with a new summer dress that I had ordered.  I had looked around town first, as I like to support local shops whenever possible, but most of the dresses were either a bit too skimpy for women of a certain age or too dowdy for this particular over 60 woman!  Wallis have a petite section so I decided to browse their on-line store. I was slightly disappointed by the limited choice as there were lots of maxi dresses (not my best look), several lace dresses that I liked but thought would only be suitable for evenings out plus a couple with polka dots. After dithering for a while over the polka dots, I finally decided on this dress:

I liked the dress as soon as I tried it on, as it is a flattering shape and just touches my knees. That's the problem with being short - so many dresses fit me ok on top but are far too long and look dowdy on me.  I decided to get a second opinion by giving a fashion show for Mr Over 60 and Over Here.

"Haven't you already got a dress like that?" was his immediate reaction, which proves that men DO sometimes notice!  This of course was one reason for the dithering as there are two similar polka dot dresses in my wardrobe, but the one above will be far more versatile, especially for our forthcoming holidays.


This is one of my other polka dot dresses.  As you can see, the neckline is different, the dots are smaller and it's longer - well below my knees. Nothing like my new dress and not as flattering either. It may very well go into the recycling at the end of this summer, if not before, however it's very comfortable to wear, which is always a plus point with me!


This is me wearing the other polka dot dress, which is clearly shorter than the one above. It is also v-necked with smaller polka dots and, though you can't see because I'm wearing a jacket here, it's sleeveless and the back is v-necked too. This dress is probably more suitable for evening occasions as it shows a lot more skin when it's not covered by a jacket.

I like polka dots and, because my skin is freckled, the slight pattern suits me.  As well as three polka dot dresses (!!!) I have a blue and white polka dot top, which I also enjoy wearing.  Another favourite pattern of mine is stripes, but I'm wary with floral patterns, which have a tendency to look too old lady on me. (I know, in many people's eyes I am an old lady at the advanced age of 66!)  Do you like wearing patterns and, if so, which ones are your favourites?

To end on a slightly more serious note, many of us women of a certain age may experience spots before our eyes, also known as floaters.  I went to my optician when I first experienced this a couple of years ago to have my eyes checked out, so I know it's nothing serious, although if the floaters get worse I also know to have them checked again. One of the many joys of getting older!

8 comments:

  1. Cute dresses! Have you thought about getting the too long but comfortable one shortened? Hemming is an easy alteration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is quite full, Juhli, so I think the proportions will look wrong. However I will definitely try pinning it up to check how it looks before throwing it out!

      Delete
  2. Love the polka dot dress, Sue - you gorgeous girl!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Callie. Do you think that I should have called this post "A bit dotty"? You know me so well......! xxx

      Delete
  3. I like the sleeves on the new one but the neckline wouldn't work for me, which is often an issue when I look for tops. I'm with Juhli about looking into tailoring before tossing. But you say the dress isn't comfortable so that's the main criterion (for me, anyway).

    I dislike polka dots and stripes, in general, but will wear a floral IF it's highly stylized and modern feeling--which I guess is a bit of an oxymoron. I'll wear florals if they don't look like florals! I do wear "dots" I guess but only if they look modern and swirly more than "dotty."

    Your point about wearing dots with freckles helps explain that while I often get solid color tops, I am really drawn more to prints since my skin is patterned with freckles too. As long as we don't start wearing baggy tops because our skin isn't as firm as it once was, I think we're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. I had to smile about not wearing baggy tops over a baggy top half!.I have some floral items too, mainly scarves, but tend to be drawn to polka dots and stripes as I said in the post. I am thinking of having a couple of items altered, including the dress. I'm too busy planning holidays at the moment, but will have a pinning session when we get back from them!

      Delete
  4. The new dotty dress is really nice, I especially like the little sleeves, which I think make it a little more stylish.

    I personally wear a lot of stripes, maybe I should experiment with dots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqui, I was very pleased when I tried on the new dress and it will definitely be packed for my holidays. Next time you're shopping, why not try on a few dots to see what you think? You never can tell till you try something on whether or not you will look good in it.

      Delete